The Garrison School in Frankfurt an der Oder was built in 1777 on the initiative of Prince Leopold of Brunswick-Wolfenbüttel and opened in 1778. The Kleist-Museum has been located there since 1969.
Kleist Memorial and Research Centre
Kleist Memorial and Research Centre
In 1968 and 1969, the former garrison school was converted into a museum, which was officially opened on 20 September 1969 as the "Kleist Memorial and Research Centre".
Kleist Museum as a state-owned foundation
Kleist-Museum as a state-owned foundation
Since 2019, the Kleist-Museum has been operated as a state-owned foundation with the participation of the federal government and the city of Frankfurt (Oder).
The history of the Kleist-Museum begins in 1922, when the first memorial room for the poet and playwright Heinrich von Kleist was established in his birthplace in Frankfurt an der Oder. After expansions, relocations and wartime destruction of various exhibitions, the newly founded Kleist-Museum found a permanent home in the former Garrison School in 1969. In 2013, this was supplemented by a new building with modern exhibition and event rooms.
Heinrich von Kleist is one of the best-known German-language poets and authors today. His texts are read all over the world, performed in theatres and made into films. Born in Frankfurt an der Oder, his ideas and activities took him all over Europe before he ended his life at Kleiner Wannsee just outside Berlin.
As a Brandenburg state foundation with the participation of the federal government and the city of Frankfurt (Oder), the Kleist-Museum is supported and advised by various committees:
The Board of Trustees of the Kleist-Museum is composed in accordance with the Foundation Act. As a rule, it decides twice a year on fundamental issues in accordance with the Foundation Statutes.
Members of the Foundation Council:
Brigitte Faber-Schmidt (Chairperson of the Foundation Council)
Head of the Department of Culture in the Ministry of Science, Research and Culture of the State of Brandenburg (MWFK)
Christine Boehl (Deputy Chairperson)
Head of Department K 21 "Literature and German Language" at the Federal Government Commissioner for Culture and the Media (BKM)
Director of the Oder-Spree District Office of Culture and Sport/Director of Beeskow Castle
Prof. Dr. Ulrike Liedtke
President of the Brandenburg State Parliament
Lord Mayor of the City of Frankfurt (Oder)
Committed personalities with scientific, museum, cultural policy and international expertise advise the Foundation's bodies (Executive Board, Foundation Council). They are appointed for five years by the Foundation Council on the recommendation of the Executive Board. The members of the Advisory Board work on an honorary basis:
Prof. Dr. Andrea Allerkamp (Chair)
European University Viadrina, Faculty of Cultural Studies, Chair of Western European Literatures
Dr. Agnieszka Brockmann (Deputy Chair)
European University Viadrina, Collegium Polonicum Library, Karl Dedecius Archive
Prof. em. Dr. Günter Blamberger
World Literature Festival Poetica (at the University of Cologne)
Prof. Dr. Anne Fleig
Free University of Berlin, Institute for German and Dutch Philology, President of the Heinrich von Kleist Society (honorary position)
Dr Werner Heegewaldt
Archive of the Academy of Arts
PD Dr. Anett Lütteken
Zurich Central Library, Manuscript Department
Educator in training and freelancer in the museum education department of the Kleist-Museum
Director, theatre director and playwright
Prof. Dr. Christoph Wingertszahn
Goethe Museum Düsseldorf/Anton and Katharina Kippenberg Foundation
Questions about the advisory board will be answered by Anke Pätsch, Director of the Kleist-Museum Foundation: email@example.com
Are you enthusiastic about Kleist and his time? Do you like the work of the Kleist-Museum Foundation? Become part of the largest literature museum in Brandenburg now and get involved. Members enjoy free admission to the exhibitions of the Kleist-Museum all year round.